With our Galapagos Wildlife Experience with Boat Trip you will enjoy a wonderful Playa Tortuga and boat trip to discover the marine life that inhabits it, you will have an unforgettable experience Read more ➤
Day Trip to South Plaza Island from Puerto Ayora
- Duration - 8 hours
- Boat Trips & Charters
- What’s this? After you book the Tour or Activity we send you your Tour Voucher or a Ticket(s).
The Voucher is your booking confirmation and tour providers can accept e-Voucher, printed Voucher or both Voucher types.
e-Voucher means that's enough, if you save received Voucher to your phone and show on the tour beginning.
Printed Voucher means after receiving the Voucher you have to print it and take with you to give it printed to the tour provovider at the tour beginning.e-Voucher, Printed Voucher
- Cancellation PolicyStrict Cancellation Policy means that:
Deposit is not refundable. No matter when you cancelled a booking, 100 percent of the paid deposit is charged as the cancellation fee.Strict
- Guide options If the tour is guided here you can see available tour languages. Usually it means along the tour you have a professional tour guide guiding the tour in one or a few specified languages.
Some tours or Activities doesn't require the guide and have a pilots, instructors or simply provider's team member who take care of you along the tour. In this case it's marked as "Not Guided" tour, because it doesn't require a professional tour guide.Language: English
- Puerto Ayora
The Day Trip to South Plaza Island from Puerto Ayora is the must-do day tour for those visitors who wish to discover the protected remote smaller islands of Galapagos, full of very unusual wildlife. The South Plaza island simply must be on your list of things to do in Galapagos!
- Discover South Plaza - one of the most remote and isolated of Galapagos Islands with a very unique environment and incredibly colorful scenery!
- Spot the biggest population of Land Iguanas!
- Watch Sea lions, Galapagos sharks, Nazca boobies, Galapagos lizards, Land Igunas, Marine Iguanas amd much more!
- Snorkel at one of the best snorkeling spots of Galapagos - Punta Carrión!
Day Trip to South Plaza Island from Puerto Ayora
Day Trip to South Plaza Island from Puerto Ayora takes you to a remote smaller island located to the East from Santa Cruz. This is an absolutely perfect destination if you wish to discover real wildlife of Galapagos protected areas and experience incredibly colorful landscapes of South Plaza Island. We start our adventure by picking up the Day Trip to South Plaza Island participants from the selected hotels in Puerto Ayora. In order to reduce the driving time within Puerto Ayora, we collect from the bigger hotels. No worries, if your hotel is not on the list, we will appoint you one of the bigger hotels located within walking distance from you.
After all the participants of the trip collected, what takes us approximately 15 minutes our coach takes the course to the Itabaca Canal on North edge of Santa Cruz island, so by the way, along about 50 minutes drive we will cross whole the island. This is also a nice occasion for scenic sightseeing of typical Santa Cruz landscapes.
Once we arrived at Itabaca Canal, we get to the yacht and lead to our first destination of the day - Punta Carrión. This one of the best snorkeling spots in Galapagos and we are doing here an hour-long stop for snorkeling. Those who decide to snorkel will try the luck to observe with own eyes creatures of marine life. At the Punta Carrión, you have a very good chance to spot white tip sharks, different kinds of colorful fishes, marine iguanas, as well as sea turtles, rays, Galapagos sharks and much more. This amazing snorkeling experience takes place in shallow waters and absolutely safe. Those who are not for snorkeling may simply enjoy the peaceful scenery and chill out on board with a glass of drink.
Later on, we start the engines and direct straight to the ocean to discover our main destination of the day - the South Plaza Island. This is one of the smallest and, relying on the time of year, most picturesque of Galapagos Islands. Here you can find a lot of sea lions, land and hybrid iguanas and innumerable birds flying by the cliffs.
The South Plaza is an unpopulated and extremely well-preserved island neighboring to North Plaza island. These two islands are fascinating geological formations and they haven't a volcano rising from the sea. Combination of 2 islands, one flat and the other higher, it develops very unique ecosystem dynamics. North Plaza has explored only with scientific and preservation purposes and South Plaza island receives a very limited number of visitors. The largest Land Iguana population is residing on these islands and easy to spot. There is a special environment created of Cactus Opuntia which holds a big population of Land Iguanas.
The walking tour around South Plaza island lets the visitor see the entire Land Iguana population as well as to discover how these animals survived in this environment when they showed up and set down. Sometimes even a hybrid of Marine and Land Iguana can be spotted along the hike we take as a part of our Day Trip to South Plaza Island.
Once you step on the shore you will be simply amazed by so unusual and colorful scenery. Pristine turquoise waters are combined with the intense red color natural carpet and cactuses - all this create a mind-blowing scenery! You will be greeted by sea lions, and you will surely spot land iguanas, marine iguanas, sea lions, Galapagos lizards, and finches. Here, on the South Plaza island, also countless sea birds fishing and flying around, including swallowed tailed gulls, pelicans, and masked boobies. We are going to spend two hours discovering the island and later on going back to the yacht to have a very tasty lunch onboard admiring the scenery of these remote islands.
Right after lunch, we set sails back to the Itabaca Canal pier where our coach already waiting to take you back to your hotel in Puerto Ayora. You can be sure, the Day Trip to South Plaza Island will be unforgettable and one of the best your experiences along with your visit to Galapagos Islands!
IMPORTANT! Booking Day Trip to South Plaza Island from Puerto Ayora you must understand that for this tour are special and non-standard conditions apply - right after paying the required booking deposit, you will have to pay also the remaining balance in advance. It because the trip is so popular. After the tour is booked and availability confirmed, we will contact you by TripsPoint Messenger or email providing payment details to pay the remaining balance - it could be paid with bank transfer or with PayPal (in the case of PayPal additional surcharge of PayPal commission applies). Once the booking deposit and remaining balance paid (so the booking is fully paid) you are getting the tour Voucher which you show on pick-up. Exact pick-up time from your hotel in Puerto Ayora depend on the hotel location and specified in your Voucher as the start time.
Please, also read the detailed schedule of the Day Trip to South Plaza Island from Puerto Ayora in the Itinerary section below.
- Local taxes.
- Snorkel gear.
- Galapagos Naturalist guide.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only).
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase).
- Visited Places:
- South Plaza Island
Itinerary of the Day Trip to South Plaza Island from Puerto Ayora:
8:15 AM - Pick up at the hotel
- Our shuttle will pick up all passengers from hotels in Puerto Ayora. Make sure to be ready at the designated time, remember that you can be the first ones or last ones to be picked up, so please give an extra fifteen minutes to that time.
9:30 AM - Itabaca Canal / Boarding
- After a fifty minute drive to Itabaca Canal, you will board the yacht in groups. Once in the yacht, safety instructions will be explained.
9:55 AM - Departure to a snorkel spot
- The captain will start engines and the journey will begin to snorkel spot after security checks with crew members.
10:05 AM - Snorkel time on Punta Carrión
- You will discover the marine wildlife around this natural pool or enjoy a sunbath on board.
11:05 AM - Return to the yacht
- You will get back on board.
11:15 AM - Departure to the island
- The captain will start engines and the journey will begin to the island after security checks with crew members.
12:45 PM - Arrival to the island
- Engines will stop and guides will announce the arrival, you will have to prepare to disembark for hiking.
1:00 PM - Disembark and visit on the South Plaza island
- The disembark will be in groups, make sure to bring water and a camera.
3:00 PM - Return to the yacht
- You will get back on board.
3:15 PM - Lunch on board
- Lunch will be served on board to all passengers in the lounge, bridge, and rooftop. You will be served fresh fish, salads, rice, and dessert afterward.
*Special meals under request only.
4:00 PM - Return to Santa Cruz / Puerto Ayora
- The captain will start engines and the journey back home will begin after security checks with crew members.
5:45 PM - Arrival to Puerto Ayora
- You will disembark the yacht in groups. Make sure not to forget anything on board of the yacht.
- The tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Vegetarian/Vegan meal option is available, please advise right after the booking made.
- No Expectant Mothers!
- No Serious Medical Conditions!
- No Back Problems!
Frequently Asked Questions
Day Trip to South Plaza Island from Puerto Ayora duration is 8 hours.Book Day Trip to South Plaza Island from Puerto Ayora now just with Booking Deposit on TripsPoint
You can book Day Trip to South Plaza Island from Puerto Ayora at least in 5 days. Check availability calendar in "Book Now" form to see currently available dates.Book Day Trip to South Plaza Island from Puerto Ayora now just with Booking Deposit on TripsPoint
You may also like
The Bartolome Island Adventure - Day trip from Santa Cruz Island is a day full of adventure, unbeatable scenery aboard a spectacular yacht, a day in Bartolome Island, snorkelling, coral beach, sea Read more ➤
On the North Seymour Island Day Tour & Bacchas Beach you encounter swallow-tailed gulls, blue footed boobies, and sea lions. The island is an important nesting colony of blue footed boobies, and has Read more ➤
The Bartolome Island Day Trip from Puerto Ayora in Santa Cruz island is one of the most demanded tours among the travelers visiting Galapagos. The Bartolome Island is a natural reserve and the only Read more ➤
The North Seymour Island Tour - Day Trip from Puerto Ayora takes you to one of the most interesting smaller uninhabited islands of Galapagos. North Seymour located to the North of bigger Baltra Read more ➤