7 Days Kilimanjaro Trekking Tour
Climb the highest mountain in Africa, Kilimanjaro! The mountain is characterized with the dormant volcano which is expected to erupt in the coming decades. Besides the stunning views of the landscape, you can also see stunning various animals, birds, waterfall, and different species of flora and fauna at the bottom of the mountain
Day 1: Drive to Kilimanjaro National Park Machame Gate, Hike to Machame Camp
- You will drive you from Arusha to the Mount Kilimanjaro National Park Gate. The journey will pass through the village of Machame, which is located on the lower slopes of the mountain. After leaving the park gate, you will walk through the rain forest on a winding trail up a ridge. Lower down, the trail can be muddy and slippery. Gaiters and trekking poles can be helpful. You will then continue hiking for a short distance until you reach Machame Camp.
Elevation: 1830m/6000ft to 3000m/9950ft
Hiking Time: 5-6 hours
Habitat: Montane Forest
Day 2: Machame Camp to Shira Camp
- After having breakfast, you will leave the glades of the rain forest and continue on an ascending path, crossing the little valley and walking along a steep rocky ridge, covered with heather until the ridge ends. As you hike, you will turn the route to the west onto a river gorge. After that, you will rest, have dinner, and stay overnight at Shira Campsite.
Elevation: 3050m/9950ft to 3850m/12,600ft
Walking Time: 4-5 hours
Day 3: Shira Camp to Lava Tower to Barranco Camp
- From the Shira Plateau, you will continue the journey to the east up a ridge, passing the junction towards the peak of Kibo. As you hike, you will change your way to the southeast toward the Lava Tower, called the “shark’s tooth”.
- Shortly after the tower, you will come to the second junction which will bring you up to the Arrow Glacier at an altitude of 16,000 feet. You will then continue down to the Barranco Camp at an altitude of 13,000 feet. There, you will rest, enjoy dinner, and stay overnight. Although you end the day at around the same elevation as when you began, this day is very important for acclimatization and will help your body prepare for the summit day.
Elevation: 3850m/12,600ft to 3900m/13,000ft
Walking Time: 5-6 hours
Day 4: Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp
- After having breakfast, you will leave Barranco and continue on a steep ridge passing the Barranco Wall, to the Karanga Valley Campsite. This is a short day meant for acclimatization.
Elevation: 4600 feet to 13,100 feet
Distance: 5 kilometers
Hiking time: 4 – 5 hours
Habitat: Alpine Desert
Day 5: Barranco Camp to Barafu Camp
- After having breakfast, you will leave Karanga and hit the junction which connects with the Mweka Trail. You will continue the journey up to the Barafu Camp. At this point, you will have completed the South Circuit, which offers views of the summit from many different angles. There, you will make camp, rest, enjoy dinner, and prepare for the summit day. The two peaks of Mawenzi and Kibo can be seen from this location.
Elevation: 13,100 feet to 15,300 feet
Distance: 4 kilometers
Hiking time: 4 – 5 hours
Habitat: Alpine Desert
Day 6: Barafu camp to peak
- Very early in the morning (midnight to 02:00), you will continue your way to the summit between the Rebmann and Ratzel glaciers. You will head to the northwesterly direction and ascend through a heavy scree towards Stella Point on the crater rim.
- This will be the most mentally and physically challenging for Kilimanjaro Trekking Tours portion of the trek. At Stella Point (18,600 feet), you will stop for a short rest and will be rewarded with the most magnificent sunrise you will ever likely to see (weather permitting).
- From the summit, you will then begin your descent by continuing straight down to the Mweka Hut Campsite and stopping at Barafu for lunch en route. You may want gaiters and trekking poles for the loose gravel going down. Mweka Camp is situated in the upper forest and mist or rain can be expected in the late afternoon. Later in the evening, you will enjoy your last dinner on the mountain and a well-earned sleep.
Day 7: Mweka camp to Mweka Gate
- After breakfast, you will continue with Kilimanjaro Trekking Tours descent down to the Mweka Park Gate to receive your summit certificates. At lower elevations, it can be wet and muddy. Gaiters and trekking poles will be helpful.
- From the gate, you will continue walking for another hour to Mweka Village. A vehicle will meet you at Mweka Village to drive you back to your hotel in Arusha.
Elevation: 10,000 feet to 5,400 feet
Distance: 10 kilometers
Hiking time: 3 – 4 hours
Habitat: Rain Forest
What to bring:
- A warm sweater as the nights can be chilly at high altitudes.
- Comfortable shoes
- Mountain shoes
- Bath towels